The Disappointing Bachelorette
Ugh! How disappointing....she just wants to be "friends" with one of the hottest bachelors EVER! Oh well... perhaps Jen wasn't meant to find love on reality television - hmm... there's a thought.
You know what shows like the Bachelorette have shown me? That it's okay to fall in and out of love with 25 different men...it's okay to go to bed with men I hardly know...and that six weeks is enough to determine whether or not this is someone you want to spend the rest of your life with! Also, what has been more clear to me is that women in these shows tend to portray helpless victims of love who are irrational and undecisive. Ever notice that when they show The Bachelor, they always focus on what he does for a living, how much money he makes, etc. etc. For The Bachelorette, none of that stuff matters - as long as she's got long legs, a killer body and a decent face. It's quite superficial if you ask me.
I think we need better role models on television. We need strong women who aren't afraid to look a little fat...who aren't afraid to be smart. What I couldn't get over about this Bachelorette is that she constantly had these fits and breakdowns and complained about how hard it was to date 25 different men at once.... OMG...I feel sorry for her!. Why are women portrayed so ditzy on television!? Is it for kicks? Is it to seem "cute"?
So this Bachelorette did the stereotypical thing....she suggested they "be friends"...she even attemped the "It's not you... it's me" speech which is so cliche that it's insulting. Perhaps she should have made up her mind before saying things like, "I want you to know I'm totally committed to you!"
It's hard to have faith in the concept of love when all you are bombarded by with television is how love comes and goes - it is not permanent nor does it have sustenance; it is not ever-lasting but filled with doubt. I'm not surprised with the outcome of this show...how could you possibly find love in such a situation. Here is a decent looking woman (don't know much about her intelligence) and if SHE can't find love, what are the chances for the rest of us, no? THAT's what TV is telling us!
Sheesh... turn it off! (Except on Tuesdays and Thursdays!)
You know what shows like the Bachelorette have shown me? That it's okay to fall in and out of love with 25 different men...it's okay to go to bed with men I hardly know...and that six weeks is enough to determine whether or not this is someone you want to spend the rest of your life with! Also, what has been more clear to me is that women in these shows tend to portray helpless victims of love who are irrational and undecisive. Ever notice that when they show The Bachelor, they always focus on what he does for a living, how much money he makes, etc. etc. For The Bachelorette, none of that stuff matters - as long as she's got long legs, a killer body and a decent face. It's quite superficial if you ask me.
I think we need better role models on television. We need strong women who aren't afraid to look a little fat...who aren't afraid to be smart. What I couldn't get over about this Bachelorette is that she constantly had these fits and breakdowns and complained about how hard it was to date 25 different men at once.... OMG...I feel sorry for her!
So this Bachelorette did the stereotypical thing....she suggested they "be friends"...she even attemped the "It's not you... it's me" speech which is so cliche that it's insulting. Perhaps she should have made up her mind before saying things like, "I want you to know I'm totally committed to you!"
It's hard to have faith in the concept of love when all you are bombarded by with television is how love comes and goes - it is not permanent nor does it have sustenance; it is not ever-lasting but filled with doubt. I'm not surprised with the outcome of this show...how could you possibly find love in such a situation. Here is a decent looking woman (don't know much about her intelligence) and if SHE can't find love, what are the chances for the rest of us, no? THAT's what TV is telling us!
Sheesh... turn it off! (Except on Tuesdays and Thursdays!)


4 Comments:
PREACH ON SISTAH!
You hit the nail right on the head. I totally blame t.v. and movies for leading us on about love. Perhaps that's why Sex in the City was so popular (haha any topic leads back to SITC) but seriously, it showed a variety of women, in a variety of situations that actually occur. It was sexually liberating...FUN and it took 4 seasons(?) for the characters to find love, not a matter weeks. At times the women met jerks and more importantly at times they were the jerks...
p.s. I cant imagine being on reality t.v and having sex- when I KNOW THAT MY PARENTS or people who KNOW MY PARENTS WILL SEE IT!?!?! HAHA OHMYGOSH, can you just imagine your parents knowing without A DOUBT that you have sex! OH LORD!
By
Nadie, at 7:53 PM
Um... I would rather NOT think about that, Nadia. hahaha :)
By
Mandy Lam, at 10:43 PM
hmm... yeah this bachelorette kinda really diasppointed me too - especially after humiliating poor jerry on national televisions - yeesh.
but i think that this time around i've learned two things about life:
1) Even "perfect" guys don't always get the girl
2) Girls really don't know what they want even when it's staring them right in the face :oP
jerry, if you're out there reading this, i'd marry you in a heartbeat :oP
By
mamastella, at 1:45 PM
oy. that's televisioN not televisionS :oP
By
mamastella, at 1:46 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home