..::More or Less... this is Me::..

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Managing your Stress...

The one thing that I've learned to do while in school is deal with stress. Of course, you have those one or two nights a term where you lose it and indulge in a tear-fest, but overall, I've learned to deal with stress very well. Having to worry about 5 different essays in one week, while maintaining a part-time job that requires me to put in at least 14-21 hours a week, while paying over 4 different bills, rent, car payments, etc. etc....you tend to learn how to deal with multiple levels of stress.

The one thing I've also learned is that many people don't ever learn this lesson. It's kind of sad, really... I think that being able to absorb yourself in this kind of stress and SURVIVE really builds on your character. I know friends who crack under pressure, who contemplate suicide because their grades aren't high enough or because they can't handle all the responsibilities of multi-tasking. Although I understand that those emotional problems run deeper than face value, I think that learning how to deal with stress at a young age actually benefits you when you become older and enables you to take on many difficult and challenging ordeals.

Another important lesson I've learned is that you can never plan out your future. There are so many twists and turns that if you attempt to plan, you'll be sorely disappointed. Not to say that you don't try...but having a dead-set outlook on the future is just setting yourself up for disaster...and in instances like that, you can't really blame anyone else but yourself. It's about "managing your expectations."

I think I've been able to handle my stress pretty well and I can be proud in saying that. Of course there were times where I just wanted to give up and move to another country.. but I've managed to keep a positive outlook on a lot of things. It's key to remember that in this lifetime, we're all bound to go through hard times, but if we buckle and fall each time we fail, we will never get to a point where we experience success.

One of my fears is meeting someone who can't handle all that stress - whether it be with the home, work or financial issues...someone who will be crushed by the idea of failure...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home