..::More or Less... this is Me::..

Monday, November 14, 2005

A Note about the "AWAY" status on MSN

Okay, please feel free to share your opinions with me on this matter but for those of you who don't know me, this is why I am always "AWAY" on MSN:

I don't own a cellphone. I don't intend to ever own one unless it becomes a FREE service. I use MSN as an answering machine of sorts - it's always on because it's cheaper for my brother and sister and friends to leave me messages via msn than to call my house where my answering machine is never checked. It's the most efficient way to reach me.

I'm never ONLINE because when I am, it gives people the idea that I'm "free to chat," which I hardly ever am. Heck, when I'm "AWAY" some people think it's a welcome invitation to have a three-hour chat with me (even if my subname is "please do not disturb"). It's nice to check with people first to see if they're really busy before you start a conversation with them.

Many times I have messaged others while my status is "AWAY" because I'll have an important question to ask or I haven't spoken to my good friends in a long time and I want to catch up - but I always try to make sure I'm not bothersome. I don't mind when good friends log on and see that my msn name is "overwhelmed and anxious" and sincerely ask me if I'm okay - then when I tell them I have work to do, they graciously say, "Just checking, gf. Good luck with it and I'll talk to you soon." It's quite nice and it's always welcome. What I don't appreciate is someone coming online and starting a full-fledged conversation about religion in order to ease their boredom while I've got a 20-paged essay to write. Ugh.

There needs to be some sort of "MSN Etiquette" put in order here - they've done that with everything else! When did MSN become such an intrusive thing? Some people tell me I should log off or put myself on "invisible" - but why should I have to do that? Why can't people just heed to the "STATUS" of my msn?

Sorry if it sounds like I'm whining or complaining... I should just start deleting people that I don't enjoy conversing with off my list and this way, I don't get 20 pop-up messages every time I log on. AAHHhhh!!

2 Comments:

  • haha, awww my dear mandy. you need to sit back, relax, and get some serious tom welling action to simmer you down... :o)

    i TOTALLY know what you mean though... which is why i'm usually on "away" myself, though it's probably not the best solution... but ever since they came out with that MSN GEEKS site, i gotta be a little more cautious with the whole "you annoy me, so DELETE" thing... :oP cheer up, chica! and know that my status is always "online" for youuu! :oP

    ... yes. i need sleep.

    By Blogger mamastella, at 1:52 AM  

  • how about a full fledged conversation about how cute tom welling is, how he's my new husband, how we're going to fly to vancouver and stalk him, and pondering what our lives are going to consist of at the end of this season - reruns, i hope not! we need to find a new "release" let's say? i know that always cheers me up when i feel overwhelmed. (this is when we BOTH have 20 page papers due the next day of course since i'd never waste your time unless i was wasting mine as well!)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home