..::More or Less... this is Me::..

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Divorce

The word itself makes my skin crawl...DIVORCE. Somehow, that word is always connected to the phrase "i give up." Who am I to judge, I know first hand that relationship are difficult and that break-ups are sometimes inevitable. You can never start a relationship off fresh without any rough points - it's the same with the ending. We all have emotional luggage that is not easy to shrug off.

Divorce...at what point do two people who chose to marry each other give up on their commitment. I always thought that when love subsides, there is a deeper commitment that takes you to the end of your life together. I believe in a loveless marriage where that initial love is replaced with respect and commitment towards a common goal - raising your children together, seeing your grandchildren grow up. Is it wrong to believe in a loveless marriage?

I've always said that love is not the only thing that makes up a marriage...it can still exist without love. Heck, marriages can exist despite MANY factors...and we've all seen it in all its glory. Passionate love is temporary - it should be known that the love you're always holding out for is only temporary so enjoy it while you can... after that, two people are forced to look deeper...to find other reasons to want to be with each other. Perhaps it's a commitment to family, perhaps it's to please the public, perhaps it's because you share the same values...want the same things in life.

Perhaps we're not in the same mind frame as our ancestors were...before divorce existed.

The man I marry better be ready to spend his life with me whether things go bad or go well...I want a partner for life. There will always be rough patches that seem unbearable...there will always be moments where you want to give up.. but there will be moments where you look at the other person and just know that they are the best match for you. Personally, I would be perfectly happy not getting married than to have a marriage end in divorce...it's just a bunch of papers filed anyway.

Divorce... the word makes my skin crawl.

1 Comments:

  • totally agree with you there, chica. people take the words "committment" and "love" so lightly these days, and use it as a matter of convenience than sincerity. it saddens me, really... :o(

    has our society really become as bad as we think it has? :oS

    By Blogger mamastella, at 1:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home