..::More or Less... this is Me::..

Sunday, July 31, 2005

Sexual Orientation Debate

I saw a special on CNN today about a camp called "Love in Action," which is an organization set up to change the sexual orientation of those who lust for people of the same sex. In other words, this is a camp for gays to convince them that their orientation is changeable and they can be "cured" through the word of God.
I know this isn't a topic that a lot of people like to discuss because it's somewhat "controversial" but it is really necessary to treat homosexuality as a disease?

I believe that people are born with a particular sexual orientation - that's it a part of their genetic make-up. It's not like hair colour that you can alter with the use of dyes and bleaches...you can't just rearrange your orientation.

So this camp suggests that homosexuals look to God to get rid of the lust in their hearts...and if that lust still exists, then to practice celibacy. Is it just me or is this idea really absurd!? I'd love to hear some opinions!

2 Comments:

  • Go rent "But I'm a Cheerleader"
    (the DREAMY Dante Basco and the curly haired girl from "Can't Hardly Wait" are in it.)

    Fantastic, if slightly twisted, movie about *exactly* what you're blogging about - training people out of homosexual tendencies.


    I think that this camp-thing is COMPLETELY wrong! It sends the message that homosexuality is wrong and shameful and needs to be "fixed".

    So much for an open, honest dialogue about homosexual issues!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:45 AM  

  • I've seen that movie before and this special on CNN completely reminded me of that movie!

    The thing is, amidst all this debate and hoop-la about same-sex marriages, people are just getting more and more ideas about how to deal with homosexuality - treating it like it's a disease or something.

    A lot of people have different opinions about homosexual issues and I do not want to put any of those opinions down...but this debate is more about changing someone's identity.... and to please who, really???

    Thanks for your comment Kendra!

    By Blogger Mandy Lam, at 11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home