..::More or Less... this is Me::..

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Women Don't Cry... in Business

Two weeks ago, on The Apprentice: Martha Stewart, Martha said, "Don't you cry. Women in business don't cry" and I couldn't help but gasp out of utter joy and admiration. She spoke up and she is right. I am always so ashamed of seeing women in these business settings breaking down and acting like emotional slobs! If you're going to cry.. do so in the privacy of your own bathroom stall but make sure that when you face your colleagues, they don't know it.

I had a friend once that called me from her workplace, crying to herself in a bathroom stall because her co-workers didn't like her earrings. I mean, I understand she is a bit sensitive to the criticism of others, but for crying out loud, don't let them SEE you cry!

Perhaps I'm too cut-throat, cold even... but I don't believe that there is room for emotional breakdowns when you are at work. Mind you, if you work in a setting where emotional displays are welcome - like in the hospital or whatever - then fine, do as you must. But when you're in a professional environment, don't cry because the work is too hard or because you're not getting along with your coworkers. At that point, my advice is: Suck it up and put on a happy face.

It shows strength in character, right? And this is what women in today's world need. A man looks at a woman who cries every time she can't get a job done and thinks: "I don't need to put up with this bullshit here, I get enough of this at home. I'm going to hire a man to do the job." It's our disadvantage because as much as we've progressed, I believe it is still a man's world. And so women need to put up a solid fight to gain the respect that so many others before us have worked hard to attain.

4 Comments:

  • Yes... no crying at work I think this should be a given :)

    I hate to say it but I think the better question would be are there certain professions where being emotional affects your ability to do your job?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:27 PM  

  • Absolutely...when you're making business decisions that affect an entire corporation, there is no room for your emotions - you cannot decide based on how you are feeling that day. Or, if a coworker belittles you and you get emotional defending yourself, your working relationship may be hindered, which will keep you from doing your job well in future instances where interaction is necessary.

    By Blogger Mandy Lam, at 8:14 AM  

  • you know what? i find that comment to be a GOOD kick in the ass. it's so true! when i watch the women on Apprentice- ARGH I hate how they get soooo catty and are so quick to start crying when they dont get their way!?!?

    Thank goodness we have Martha!

    By Blogger Nadie, at 9:14 PM  

  • i don't watch the apprentice but say WOMEN OF THE WORLD KEEP FIGHTING AND KEEP crying? does that work lol girl powwwwwwwwwerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

    By Blogger alf, at 10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home