Needs
"That's the thing about needs... Once you have them met, you don't need them anymore." - Carrie Bradshaw
It's wierd...being in a relationship, you always feel as if there is something you need from your significant other. It doesn't seem like anything is ever enough. Sometimes you need more comfort, sometimes you need more attention, more consideration, more love, more respect..the list goes on. Why is it that even though our needs are met, we grow hungry for more? Are we building up a needs inventory where there is never enough supply to meet the demand?
I mean, is it possible to always feel loved...to always feel wanted..consistently and eternally? Doesn't sound too realistic to me - we're all human, we're all flawed. I know for a fact that I don't always have my needs fulfilled.. or met for that matter.
There are all these rules when you're in a relationship - all these things you're supposed to feel. So what if you don't feel them? Does that automatically mean that your needs are being met and you need to search for someone else? It's scary that sometimes we're taught that real love feels like this... or it feels like that... and we ALL believe it. I am guilty of that...I know what I want - even if it seems unrealistic. I want my needs met. I want to feel comforted, trusted, considered, loved and respected. When did that become unrealistic?? When did having these needs translate into having such "high" expectations?
It's wierd...being in a relationship, you always feel as if there is something you need from your significant other. It doesn't seem like anything is ever enough. Sometimes you need more comfort, sometimes you need more attention, more consideration, more love, more respect..the list goes on. Why is it that even though our needs are met, we grow hungry for more? Are we building up a needs inventory where there is never enough supply to meet the demand?
I mean, is it possible to always feel loved...to always feel wanted..consistently and eternally? Doesn't sound too realistic to me - we're all human, we're all flawed. I know for a fact that I don't always have my needs fulfilled.. or met for that matter.
There are all these rules when you're in a relationship - all these things you're supposed to feel. So what if you don't feel them? Does that automatically mean that your needs are being met and you need to search for someone else? It's scary that sometimes we're taught that real love feels like this... or it feels like that... and we ALL believe it. I am guilty of that...I know what I want - even if it seems unrealistic. I want my needs met. I want to feel comforted, trusted, considered, loved and respected. When did that become unrealistic?? When did having these needs translate into having such "high" expectations?


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home