..::More or Less... this is Me::..

Monday, May 09, 2005

Just EAT, Already!

Today a co-worker and I decided to take our wholesome lunches outside to the nearby picnic table to have lunch and possibly some good conversation. The weather was beautiful and it felt nice to have the sun finally come out to shine upon us. I don't know about you, but the sun definitely puts me in a better mood.

Anywho...while we were having a nice chit-chat about school and life and work, we are joined by other co-workers who welcome themselves beside us. After five minutes of conversation, I quickly began to realize how extremely nervous I get when the conversation turns to the issue of weight. I mean, come on ladies, MUST we talk about weight during the only time of the work day that we can eat without guilt!? One of my co-workers is on a carb-diet and the minute she saw my pasta, she eyed it and announced her craving. I mean, what was I supposed to do? Offer her a bite??

It's apparent to me that women are so obsessed with weight lately that they are willing to do almost anything to lose it. Even if it means enrolling in a program where they degrade you every week by weighing you in front of everybody else in the program and depriving you of your favourite foods if you do not reach your goal? What has our world come down to?

And also, it always makes me feel uncomfortable because I can't participate in the conversation. According to many people, I'm a stick and I don't ever need to exercise or watch my diet. Okay, am I living in a completely different world than everybody else?! Even today, I tried to talk about going to the gym and the first thing I hear is, "Whatever, you don't need to go to the gym." Of course I need to go! We're all trying to be healthy here and even a trim figure needs maintenance. I think some women are living in a dream world.

So as my co-worker was eyeing my food, I looked around and here I was with 8 very intelligent, attractive women who were all obsessing over the same thing - their appearance. Why has it come down to this?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home