Completion?
All these years, I've wanted so badly to be done university.. and now that I'm here, it's not as great as I thought it would be. I keep thinking about the valedictorian speech of the girl that actually won and she spoke about how no matter how small our achievements are (or how small we think they are), they are STILL accomplishments - and learning that ONE fact is really important. Perhaps I haven't learned that yet.... it almost seems as though I could have done more...could have done things differently. Now that I'm done, I don't know what else I have to look forward to...
Perhaps I have a job to look forward to.. although, the only thing that excites me about working is making income. Perhaps I look forward to marriage...having a family, sharing my life with someone else. To me, though, these aren't goals... I don't look at working as a goal, I don't look at marriage as something to be achieved. What GOALS will I have now? When school is complete, what else will you strive for that will give you the sense of personal accomplishment?
Perhaps I have a job to look forward to.. although, the only thing that excites me about working is making income. Perhaps I look forward to marriage...having a family, sharing my life with someone else. To me, though, these aren't goals... I don't look at working as a goal, I don't look at marriage as something to be achieved. What GOALS will I have now? When school is complete, what else will you strive for that will give you the sense of personal accomplishment?


4 Comments:
can you explain how making a family and/or getting married is not a goal for you? :)
how about a new goal of redefining yourself outside of the context of being a student? how about a goal of meeting new people, connecting with people you haven't talked to due to school? um, TOP TEN things you want to experience before you "settle down"?
Places to visit? Subjects that you wanted to study but couldn't due to schedule? Write a book? Take dance class? Plan a vacation?
Perhaps the goals you use to make for yourself were life altering but now you have to redefine the things you want to achieve-- nothing is too small, just because you dont get a degree or spend thousands for it doesn't mean it ain't a goal ;)
YOU CAN DO ANYTHING Ms. Mandy!
CREATE THE POSSIBILTY....
By
Nadie, at 4:45 PM
oh mandy...
i totally agree with what that girl's speech - even the littlest things in life that we've succeeded in are accomplishments. and now that our undergrad degree is *hopefully* out of the way now, it's as if we have a clean slate to work with now...
i think our life goal really is to just find balance in this whole concept of "real life" - to accomplish in finding things that make us happy and successful in all aspects of life: love, friendships, family, work, etc.
even when we don't realize it, we're always striving for something... i don't think that's something that ever really stops. there will always be an obstacle that we'll want to overcome. :)
so hang in there chica, the adventure's really just begun :D
By
mamastella, at 1:19 AM
NOW IT IS TIME TO CREATE FORGET EVERYTHING YOU LEARNED AND CREATE YOUR MASTERPIECE WHATEVER IT MIGHT BE......you can look forward to havinf korean food with alf lollolo :)
By
alf, at 1:34 AM
hahaha - thanks for the encouragement guys...
mmm...Korean food...
By
Mandy Lam, at 2:48 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home