Parents...all grown up?
There comes a time in our lives when we finally realize that our parents are just people too. I remember being five and crossing the street with my father... I ran ahead of him and scared him as I ran towards oncoming traffic. He picked me up and said to me, "Don't ever do that again. You have to listen to me all the time because I am an adult and I know more than you and everything that adults say is right." And I (smartass as I am) said, "If an adult calls me stupid does that mean that I am really stupid?" (lol) And he says, "Aiya, just listen to me then."
As I'm hitting the 24 mark, I am beginning to see my parents in a different light. We tend to see our parents as all-knowing because they're older and of course, they were the ones that raised us. But they are just people...with the same personal problems, relationship problems and insecurities as we are beginning to experience now as we get older. Parents can be irresponsible, unreasonable and just downright WRONG. They are not PERFECT and they do not have all the answers.
When you start to see your parents as people too... and not invincible human beings with great strength, you start to understand better why they do the things they do. Sometimes, they make mistakes.
I look at my parents and I know that they have made some pretty stupid decisions. But I find comfort in knowing that as I get older, it will be okay for me to make some mistakes myself. We are not perfect. All I can do is try to set the best example I can for my kids and for those around me....and realize that sometimes my best is flawed, but that's okay too. I know my parents have tried their best...
As I'm hitting the 24 mark, I am beginning to see my parents in a different light. We tend to see our parents as all-knowing because they're older and of course, they were the ones that raised us. But they are just people...with the same personal problems, relationship problems and insecurities as we are beginning to experience now as we get older. Parents can be irresponsible, unreasonable and just downright WRONG. They are not PERFECT and they do not have all the answers.
When you start to see your parents as people too... and not invincible human beings with great strength, you start to understand better why they do the things they do. Sometimes, they make mistakes.
I look at my parents and I know that they have made some pretty stupid decisions. But I find comfort in knowing that as I get older, it will be okay for me to make some mistakes myself. We are not perfect. All I can do is try to set the best example I can for my kids and for those around me....and realize that sometimes my best is flawed, but that's okay too. I know my parents have tried their best...


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home